Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

8 Posts

May 1st, 2020 03:00

Dell XPS 710 displays fan fault / Pump fault

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a 710 desktop and it will not load past the start screen. Before it gets there it shows a fault screen from previous user and then goes in to auto shut down. I don't really know where to go next as I've never had a water cooled system before. 

Any help/guidance would be most appreciated.

Have attached picture for clarity.

Many thanks

DazIMG_0168.JPG

8 Posts

May 1st, 2020 04:00

@redxps630 

I've just located it on Dells records via the service tag as being a 720

8 Posts

"Please send the DP/N of your motherboard I can help you determine whether the board was swapped".

Do you know where this might be located please?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

XPS 710 comes w H2C cooler (ceramic cooler) which is a hybrid of liquid cooler and semiconductor cooling, if your system can not complete POST meaning a Dell logo appearing on screen then disappearing normally, then there is a firmware error. If it is able to pass POST but gives you an error of cpu pump failed, it is easier fix. The H2C cooler is not serviceable. You can uninstall the entire cooler and replace w standard air cooler for Dell BTX motherboard. when you do this wear gloves in case there is leak of H2C.  FYI 710 motherboard may or may not have been updated to 720 board by original owner. 700/710 board was known to have intrinsic serious issue back in 2006-07 that Dell offered replacement. I believe it was at one time free swap for 700 owner and Dell charged a fee for 710 owner.  Please send the DP/N of your motherboard I can help you determine whether the board was swapped.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

8 Posts

Thanks @redxps630 

Is the H2C cooler pretty easy to dismantle and remove?

8 Posts

May 1st, 2020 05:00

@redxps630 

While i'm here, is this a system that is worth saving, in your opinion? Is it easily upgradable with newer RAM/GFX card etc? 

8 Posts

Thanks very much @redxps630 I'll get a new fan ordered and see how it goes. 

Appreciated.

Daz

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

It uses core2quad cpu and sometimes core2 extreme, lga 775 socket. Gaming capabilities in 2020 quite limited. CPU too weak for most modern gpu. Ram can be upgraded to 8gb ddr2 max.  Last time I was able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider on a 720 w C2Q Q6600, 8 gb, EVGA GTX 460, and it went okay during first 5-10 min. I did not test further.  I would not spend much upgrading gpu. GTX 460 costs $20 these days so no big deal.  What is your cpu spec?

8 Posts

@redxps630 

Personally I haven't gamed in a long time, not since WoW Legion, and even then only really the beginning after 10 years of being a WoW junkie.

The tower itself looks like its remained as it would have as standard. 

I have no real desire to get back in to WoW either so in any case it would only really be there to be used as a desktop for my daughter's school work and maybe minecraft. 

It sounds like it wouldn't really have any sell on value either given its age.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

May 1st, 2020 06:00

The system components have low gaming value except for front panel led. Do you know the led colors can be adjusted to 7-8 different colors in bios? A cool feature that might interest your family. It is massive and can be used as paper weight lol or party and good enough for email, light internet and light gaming. 
Depends on local demand some pc builder may be interested in the retro case and mod the BTX case to ATX allowing unlimited update potential. It is a serious mod.  I would say the case might be sold for 50 if in okay condition, 75-100 top if in excellent condition, 125-150 if in mint midnight black or high gloss piano color, or more w X clear view side panel.  I have seen owner trying to sell complete system silver case for 300+ original stock but doubt anyone would pay more than 100.

8 Posts

May 1st, 2020 07:00

@redxps630 

Thanks very much for your help and advice. I think I may just get it going again, ensure its all in working order and then dismantle for parts, selling off what I can as individual units. The case on its on is high gloss black and in very good condition. Its actually quite a swanky looking case so maybe it'll have some interest   

Thanks again 

No Events found!